I’m so excited to be sharing with you the Trio Nesting Crochet Baskets pattern.
This pattern comes in 3 different sizes; small, medium and large that can be stacked and stored when not in use.
I opted for a square shape as I always feel round and oval containers are not efficient for space usage.
For the Trio Nesting Baskets, I used acrylic yarn since I had some leftover yarn that I wanted to use (the baskets do not use many yards as you will see down in the pattern) and because T-shirt yarn is not always available for some of us.
You can definitely try this pattern with cotton yarn or macrame cords. The size of the final product will differ accordingly.
I have a YouTube video showing a step by step tutorial for crocheting the small sized basket that you can find by clicking here
While you are there, you may wanna check all the other projects I have been sharing on my channel. I know I was lazy writing down these patterns and sharing those here but hopefully one day I can catch up and update the blog.
I am now gonna leave you with the pattern. Please reach out if you have any questions and don’t forget to share photos of your final work with us on IG and Facebook.
Trio Nesting Baskets
- Acrylic yarn (weight 4) – I used Bernat Premium in 2 different colors
Small Basket: 54 yds
Medium Basket: 69 yds
Large Basket: 90 yds
- Hook: 2.5 mm
- 4 stitch markers
- Tapestry needle to weave in ends
- A pair of scissors
- The pattern is written using US Terms.
- The whole pattern is worked by crocheting around the yarn not currently used (tapestry crochet method) to give a uniform thickness to the whole basket.
- Chain 1 in the beginning of the round is NOT counted as a stitch.
- Each round ends with a slip stitch to join the first and last stitches. The slip stitch is worked by inserting the hook under the 2 loops of the V.
- Stitch markers are placed in the middle stitch of each corner (3 single crochet stitches) to easily identify where the increase takes place in the following round.
- Number stitch abbreviation e.g., 3SC: Three single crochet stitches into the same stitch.
- Stitch abbreviation x number e.g., SCx3: Single crochet into each of the next 3 stitches.
- Stitch abbreviation x A (B, C) e.g. SC x3 (5, 7): Means working single crochet for 3 stitches if you are making a small size, 5 stitches for medium size, and 7 stitches for the large size basket.
- The number in brackets at the end of each round is the number of total stitches for that round.
2″ x 2″ square = 5 rounds of single crochet in the back loop.
C1: Color 1
C2: Color 2
MR: Magic Ring
M.SP.: Modified Spike Stitch
SC: Single Crochet
SC-BLO: Single Crochet in the back loop only
SL ST: Slip stitch
- Modified Spike (M.SP.): insert the hook one round below the specified stitch, yarn over and pull a loop (2 loops on the hook), insert the hook 2 rows below the specified stitch, yarn over and pull a loop (3 loops on the hook), yarn over and pull through all 3 loops at once, skip one stitch in the current round.
Using C1, start with MR
- Round 1: SC x 8, SL ST to join. (8)
- Round 2: CH 1, (SC-BLO, 3SC-BLO) x 4. SL ST to join. (16)
- Round 3: CH 1, (SC-BLO x 2, 3SC-BLO, SC-BLO x 1) x 4. SL ST to join. (24)
- Round 4: CH 1, (SC-BLO x 3, 3SC-BLO, SC-BLO x 2) x 4. SL ST to join. (32)
- Round 5: CH 1, (SC-BLO x 4, 3SC-BLO, SC-BLO x 3) x 4. SL ST to join. (40)
- Round 6: CH 1, (SC-BLO x 5, 3SC-BLO, SC-BLO x 4) x 4. SL ST to join. (48)
- Round 7: CH 1, (SC-BLO x 6, 3SC-BLO, SC-BLO x 5) x 4. SL ST to join. (56)
The base for the small basket is now done. Move to The Sides part of the pattern.
- Round 8: CH 1, (SC-BLO x 7, 3SC-BLO, SC-BLO x 6) x 4. SL ST to join. (64)
Round 9: CH 1, (SC-BLO x 8, 3SC-BLO, SC-BLO x 7) x 4. SL ST to join. (72)
The base for the medium basket is now done. Move to The Sides part of the pattern.
- Round 10: CH 1, (SC-BLO x 9, 3SC-BLO, SC-BLO x 8) x 4. SL ST to join. (80)
- Round 11: CH 1, (SC-BLO x 10, 3SC-BLO, SC-BLO x 9) x 4. SL ST to join. (88)
The base for the large basket is now done. Move to The Sides part of the pattern.
Round 8 (10, 12): CH 1, SC-BLO x 56 (72, 88). SL ST to join.
Repeat round 8 (10, 12) two more times
Round 11 (13, 15): Using C2, CH 1, M. SP. under the last SC-BLO of the previous round, SC-BLO. (M. SP. under SC-BLO just finished, SC-BLO) x 27 (35, 43). SL ST to join.
Round 12 (14, 16): CH 1, SC-BLO x 56 (72, 88). SL ST to join.
Round 13 (15, 17): Using C1. Repeat Round 11 (13, 15).
Round 14 (16, 18): Repeat Round 12 (14, 16).
Round 15 (17, 19): Using C2. Repeat 11 (13, 15).
Round 16 (18, 20): CH 1, SC-BLO x 56 (72, 88). SL ST to join.
Repeat round 16 (18, 20) three more times
Round 20 (22, 24): Using C1, CH 1, SL ST x 56 (72, 88). Join and cut off the yarn.